PROJECT 11 - POSTERIZE PHOTOSHOP ACTION
In this project you will learn how to use a Photoshop Action to quickly create a posterized photoshop poster. Photoshop Actions are time-saving tools that allow you to add captivating effects to your files with just a few clicks. Photoshop Actions combine, save and automate all of the steps you need to take, so that you can add the effect with just a few clicks. You will download and extract a Photoshop Action to posterize a photo. You will see some of the different versions I created using Tom Brady. You can use anyone you want for the project, just make sure the photo is large, high quality and a close up of their face. Follow the steps below to create your posters.
STEP 1 - DOWNLOAD THE PHOTOSHOP ACTION AND EXTRACT IT
The first step is to create a folder called POSTERIZE and to download and extract the Photoshop action below into the folder.
- Create a new folder in your onedrive (cloud storage) and name it posterize
- Download the file below and save it to your posterize project folder.
- Once you have it saved you need to extract it by right clicking on the file and selecting Extract from the popup menu.
Watch the video below that shows you how to extract the file once you download it to your folder.
STEP 2 - FIND AND OPEN YOUR IMAGE IN PHOTOSHOP
You need to find a large high quality image that you can use for the project. I am using a photo of Tom Brady from the Buccaneers football team. It is important that your image be a close up of just the shoulders and head of the person for this project. Use the Google search tools to find a high quality photo.
- Go to google photos and click on the Tools button to bring up the options
- Click on Size and from the drop down select Large.
- Type in the name of the person that you want to use. Find the photo from the thumbnails that appear and click on it to bring up the larger version of the photo.
- Right click the large version of the photo and select Copy Image from the popup menu.
- Open your Photoshop Application.
- Select Create New choose the Clipboard file option that will be highlighted > name the new file posterize > leave all the other options defaults and click the Create button.
- Select Edit > Paste from the drop down menus at the top. The photo will be pasted from google photos into your photoshop file.
STEP 3 - LOAD AND RUN THE PHOTOSHOP ACTION
Now that you have your image you will need to load and run the Photohshop Action. Afterwards you can edit the different layers and customize your file.
- Click on Windows > Actions to open the actions window.
- Click on the panel menu and choose New Action from the popup menu.
- Navigate to the Photoshop Action that you saved and extracted in step 1. Click on it and load the action.
- Open the folder in the Action window and click on the play button at the bottom of the Action window to run it.
- Check the box at the top of the Photoshop user interface to complete the action.
- Edit the different layers as desired to customize the effects.
STEP 4 - MODIFY THE DOCUMENT AND SAVE DIFFERENT VERSIONS
- Watch the video below and modify your file to your own liking, save the file as .jpg, post to your website portfolio page, and submit to schoology for grading.
- Create a variety of different versions by adjusting layers and save out at least 3 different versions as .jpg files
- Name these files posterize1.jpg, posterize2.jpg, and posterize3.jpg
- Create a photo viewer on your portfolio page for the project for all of the photos that you created.
- Submit your favorite version to the schoology folder.